Sunday, November 11, 2012

Mom Q&A




This blog post is mainly answering a pile of questions my mother sent me for the blog!
1. Do you speak Chinese much? 
Not as much as when I was a student. I speak Chinese on a daily basis, mostly to get around; I’m the only expat at my school who speaks enough to carry on a decent conversation. When I use Chinese at work, I’m mostly instant messaging (QQ-ing) my colleagues at work. Their English is good, but they tend to prefer when I answer in Chinese or help translate, so I usually type Chinese to them.

2. How is your Chinese coming along? 
Intellectually, my Chinese sucks. I really haven’t had time to study Chinese like I did in school, so I haven’t really picked up much vocabulary and have definitely forgotten some. On the upside, I’m really good at getting by in daily life now and my listening comprehension isn’t bad.

3. How well do your students speak English? 
It varies depending on the student. A couple of students really struggle to understand me even when I keep the English pretty basic, but those students are the ones who struggle in class, too. Some students are pretty fluent, to the point where I keep forgetting that they don’t know metaphors or slang and have to explain myself. Most of the time, the students understand me best when I use basic English mixed with SAT words.

4. Did any get accepted by early action? 
We don’t find out until early December. Don’t worry, if we have any students accepted early action, I will be REALLY excited and post it here.

5. Is it competitive to get into your school? 
Extremely. Most of my students have to get into Tianyi High School first. Tianyi High School is one of the top schools in Wuxi and a prominent school in Jiangsu Province. Tianyi usually only accepts students with the highest Zhongkao (high school entrance exam) scores in Wuxi.  After entering the school, I’m not sure about the process for entering the AP program, but I do know that most of our students score pretty well on the English exams in the regular Chinese curriculum.

6. Are the kids there from prominent families? 
Most of them are children of wealthy or influential people. Some of the parents are government cadres; others are wealthy businessmen. Our AP program is very expensive, but we still have a few students who are not from wealthy or prominent families.

7. Are any of your friends Chinese, or are they all ex-pats? 
I hang out mostly with expats like Claire, but I’m friendly with some of the office staff and like to go out with them sometimes. Phoebe and Sarah, our center coordinators, are really great people. Western bars tend to have pretty high prices that often shut out the Chinese staff, unfortunately.

8. Do you miss anything from home? 
Yes! Mexican food. Lactaid milk. Bagels. Good bread. The ocean. The mountains. Being able to speak English and be understood by service people. Being able to find something in grocery stores. Knowing about the quality of items…Let’s just say I’m a mite homesick right now. I miss the US, but I really seriously miss California right now. I would be so happy to be in LA or San Francisco for a couple of months.

9. What do you like best about being there? 
I love being able to go shopping and find good clothes for rather inexpensive prices. I get a good mix of Western and Chinese food – yay xiaolongbao (soup dumplings)! I live across the street from where I work, which means I need to leave about 10 minutes before work starts. I love the view from my balcony, too! On clear days I can see for miles.

10. What is your daily routine? 
7:05 am – turn on the heater because it’s cold!
7:15 am – scramble out of bed and into clothes, snarf down some breakfast, out the door usually around 8 am
8:15-8:30 am – arrive at work
8:30-11:35 am – read essays, catch up on work, organize work life
11:35 am – lunch (free at the school canteen!)
1:15 pm-5:15 pm – meet with students, read more essays
5:15 pm – get off work (unless work is crazy, which means I could say until 10 pm)
5:15-??? – go home, hang out, whatever is happening that evening

11. Weekly routine? 
Monday and Wednesday are random plans or “in” nights, when we just all return home, maybe do a local dinner. On Tuesday we (usually me, Dominique, Shaun, Claire, and Tim) go to Havana, an expat bar downtown. Thursday is dumpling and maybe a movie night. Friday night we all go out to [insert bar here]. On Saturday I usually hang out with Claire, go shopping, or watch a movie during the day. Saturday nights are mostly easygoing. Sundays are my “catch up on life” days. I do laundry and grocery shopping most of the time.

12. What things about China make you laugh? 
Most of you know that in LA I had some kind of road rage. I have that here, too…because cars like to drive down the sidewalk and ignore pedestrians and ridiculous stuff like that. Watching a car on the sidewalk try to get down a curb is hilarious, especially if it’s something like a Smart car.
There are a lot of small kids in China, especially in my complex. A lot of them are completely adorable, though some of them are shy. They nearly always put a smile on my face.
Sometimes the expat stories are hilarious, too. One of the Dipont people I met at the very beginning, a counseling quality manager who works in Ningbo, told us a story about how he gets stared at a lot because he’s black. He said that one time he walked out of a restaurant to see a small child peeing in the street (they do it all the time) and she just stared at him like he was the weirdest thing she’d ever seen. His response? “You’re staring at me like I’M weird…YOU’RE PEEING IN THE STREET!”

13. Are the bathrooms clean?
That really depends on the bathroom. The ones at work aren’t bad; mine at home is as clean as I want it to be, except for the sewage smell that never leaves. Public bathrooms should never be entered if you dislike the smell of urine. Most bathrooms at restaurants and establishments are at least bearable most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment