Saturday, November 3, 2012

Halloween!



China Blog 15

So my blog posts are coming more slowly. Sorry ‘bout that.

We hit the November 1 Early Action/Early Decision deadline last week. Thank goodness Helen (my boss) told us we could leave work early on November 2, since we were all so exhausted. I looked at more than 50 essays between the beginning of Monday and the end of the day Thursday, not to mention the number of students I met with.

I suppose the best upside has been the Halloween celebrations. There have been quite a few requests for pictures of me, so I have some from when I dressed up for Halloween on Saturday night. We went to Taste Bistro for a Halloween party last night; lots of delicious food and young kids running around in adorable costumes. The band played some great music, but we weren’t a talkative bunch last night and went home kinda early for a Saturday. 

Dominique went as a time traveler (note the awesome steampunk goggles!):

I went as a goth. My coworkers looked shocked when they saw the black lipstick. I couldn't find temporary black hair dye: 

A better shot of the skull scarf that I found in a store called Kawaii for 25 yuan: 


We had a Halloween party for our students on Sunday October 28. It wasn’t really a Halloween party as we might recognize one in the United States. They had stations where different clubs hosted activities, a few performances on a makeshift stage that everyone sat down to watch, and about ten minutes of dancing (boys and girls were not allowed to touch each other!) in which they did a conga line to Gangnam Style. (If you haven’t heard of Gangnam Style, you should look it up on Youtube. It’s kind of a sensation right now.)

The internet has been extremely difficult to work with recently because of a conference in Beijing. Google especially has been really hard to access, and since I use gmail for work, life has been a little annoying. Our VPNs only work part of the time right now and websites we usually rely on have been difficult to access. Hopefully it will get better in a couple of weeks, but right now getting on Facebook and Blogspot is quite difficult.

So yeah, not much to report. Life is certainly settling down and work is picking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment